History of Newtyle Village and the surrounding area.

Newtyle Village

A planned village built in 1832 as a result of the railway coming over the Sidlaw Hills from Dundee.  Read more…

Dundee and Newtyle Railway

The village of Newtyle as it stands today is largely there as a result of the Dundee and Newtyle Railway Company building the first passenger railway in the UK.  Read more…

Parish Church

There has been a church in Newtyle since about 1178 when a church was granted to Arbroath on its foundation by William the Lion.  It was dedicated to an unknown saint by the Bishop de Bernham in 1242.  Read more…

Listed Buildings

Hatton Castle, Bannantyne House, Kinpurnie Castle, the Railway sheds and a collection of other buildings.  Read more…

Keillor Standing Stone

The stone is situated on the Newtyle to Pitcur road about one mile from Kinpurnie Castle gate.  It is described as a Class One stone with a wolf (sometimes called a bear), a double disk and a mirror engraved upon it.  Its date is put as early Christian 7th – 8th century but it could be earlier.  It was broken near the base but repaired in 1880.

There have been differences of opinion as to the purpose of the Standing Stones.  One suggestion is that they mark Royal burial sites, and it is recorded that several cists containing bones have been found in the mound on which the staone stands.  ancient sepulchre remains have also been found in the adjoining field.

Another view is that the stone may indicate the ancient march of the great Earldoms of Strathearn and Angus.  It is certainly not far from the present day boundary of Perthshire and Angus.

The word Keil or Kill-aird means a church or burial place situated on an eminence so the Chapel of Keillor may have been the site of some early place of worship and/or burial.

Privy’s Prap

James Stuart McKenzie of Belmont Castle built this 20ft high stone pillar topped with a stone ball on Keillor Hill at the same time that he built Kinpurney Tower in 1774.  The fact that he was a Privy Councillor at the time gave it its name and as for the Prop or Prap bit, it was used in conjunction with a mark made on the lawn at Belmont Castle to indicate the Meridian Passage of the Sun from that mark.  In other words the Prop is due south  from that mark on the lawn.

He no doubt used this in his astronomical studies but it is possible that he also use the three point, i.e. Belmont Castle, Kinpurney Tower and Privy’s Prap as triangulation points in calculating heights and distances of the surrounding area.

It is known that he had several telescopes and a very special sundial at his Belmont Observatory and kept weather records from 1782 – 1797.


Situated at the juntion of the B954 and Coupar Angus road, Mundamalla House was built in about 1866.  It was owned by Robert Sim, a retired jute merchant from India and when he died in 1912 is was then occupied by his son William K Sim.

The Sims bought West Cottage directly opposite on the Coupar Angus road as a house for a gardner, coachman or chauffeur as need required.

In 1937 Mundamalla was purchased as a home for Dundee’s Outdoor Blind and partly with the help of funds from the trustees of the estate of the late Sir James Duncan of Kinettles, by, Forfar, did a first rate job providing short holidays for the Blind and Deaf Blind in comfortable and pleasant surroundings.

By 1978 financial troubles forced the home for the blind to close its doors and after at least one previous owner it was purchased by John Crombie and his wife who made it into the Mundamalla Nursing Home.

With the addition of a large extension it now has accommodation for 48 residents and used to provide employment for quite a number of local women thereby contributing in no small way to the benefit of the local economy.